[pmwiki-announce] 2.0.6 release, big improvements in utf-8 support

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Sep 16 13:41:25 CDT 2005

In this release, we provide quite a few more updates for sites that
want or need to use utf-8 encoding, fix a large number of utf-8
related bugs, introduce better handling of author cookies, and
better support for keeping track of version releases.

The biggest change is to the xlpage-utf-8.php recipe, which has
been substantially rewritten from the previous version. This new
version of xlpage-utf-8.php no longer depends on the mb_strtoupper()
function, which seems to be not available in many PHP installations.
The new version of xlpage-utf-8.php uses mb_strtoupper() if it's
available, but if not available then it manually performs case
conversions from a Unicode table that is directly encoded in
the script. At present this table only understands case
conversions for Western European (Latin-1 or ISO-8859-1) and
Cyrillic characters, we'll want to expand the table to support
other language character sets as needed. Just contact me on the
listserv if a particular character isn't yet supported.

In addition to the above, author names and cookies in utf-8
environments now work again, and link suffixes containing
non-ASCII characters work again also.

The GUI button handling in IE has been greatly improved; text
selection in IE now works as you would expect it to work when a
gui button is pressed. Possibly still no hope for Mac Safari
browsers, unfortunately...

A $CookiePrefix variable has been introduced; a wiki administrator
can set $CookiePrefix to prevent PmWiki's cookies from interfering
with cookies set from other applications under the same domain name.

Some XHTML validation issues surrounding the use of <script> tags
have been fixed.

And lastly, for script and recipe authors, there is now a
$VersionNum numeric value that makes it easier to determine if
the currently running version of PmWiki is older or newer than a
known release. $VersionNum is composed from the release number by
padding the major and minor release numbers with zeroes to three
digits, thus $VersionNum for this release (2.0.6) is 2000006, while
a release like "2.1.24" will have $VersionNum set to 2001024.

As mentioned on the pmwiki-users mailing list, we are also now
maintaining PITS entries for enhancements and changes to consider
making in the core distribution. The current list can be found at
http://www.pmwiki.org/PITS/CoreCandidate, all are welcome to add
comments and vote on the items under consideration.

Thanks as always,

Pm