[pmwiki-devel] Idea: Recipe for using OpenOffice to edit tables in wiki page

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 03:17:51 CST 2006

One of the things I find especially annoying to edit in a wiki page are
tables. So I've been thinking that it'd be a good idea to be able to edit
tables using either a separate tool or perhaps using forms.

However, it just struck me that an easy solution might be a recipe that
lets you use OpenOffice to edit a table?

I am not sure it is possible, but a basic sequence could be:

* There is a special edit link next to a table
* Clicking that edit link causes a small spreadsheet in open document
   format to be downloaded and automatically opened in Open Office.
* Saving the document (and closing the OO window?) makes the document
   be uploaded and converted to a table.

The sad thing is that I'm way to busy to work on this, but better to send
the idea to the list than just forget about it.

Another alternative to using OpenOffice is to use a separate Java applet,
like PmWikiDraw.

best regards
/Christian