[pmwiki-devel] Select & Option Dropdown-list Markup

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Wed Dec 13 10:09:21 CST 2006

Wednesday, December 13, 2006, 3:47:24 PM, Ben wrote:

> If you do this, please make it optional!  Removing the submit button
> makes the jumpbox unusable by blind people who use screen readers,
> because they have to use the jumpform by pressing tab, down-arrow,
> down-arrow, etc., waiting after each key press to hear the selected
> value read aloud, then finally tab again to move on to the submit
> button.  A jumpbox without a button -- at least all the ones I've tested
> for accessibility -- will activate after the first down-arrow.  --Ben S.

I know nothing about screen readers, but I just tried my jumpbox with
key access only, using tab to get focus on the box, then arrow down or
arrow up to see each option (which gets read aloud with  a screen
reader as you say). And then to make the selection I just pressed
enter, and cortesy of javascript, it jumped to the selected page. No
need for  a submit button when javascript is enabled.

Hans