[pmwiki-devel] [pmwiki-users] Newsletter throttling

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Wed Nov 1 14:38:28 CST 2006

On 2006-11-01 The Editor is rumoured to have said:
> I'm very much open to suggestions on how to do this. My current plan
> is to allow the form to set a value for how many seconds the function
> will sleep between emails. I have several small lists, and may create
> more for forums, classes, teams, etc. They can go out with sleep set
> to 0 or 1. I also have a larger mailing list of about 3000 emails
> (monthly newsletter). My default setting will be a sleep of 10 or 20
> seconds for this group. Or send out in clusters of 10 or 20 and sleep
> for several minutes.

I don't have answers to the questions you have asked directly, but I do
have a suggestion. If the lists you are mailing to are more than about
30 addresses I would be inclined to use a real listserve. Your ISP may
have such facilities available for a nominal fee.

Listserves usually interect directly with the sending SMTP server and do
intelligent things like grouping mail to the same domain to reduce the
number of connections required.

I know you may have many other reasons for wanting to manage the entire
process via PmWiki and PHP, but the prospect of a 3000 member list being
handled this way makes me cringe.

As usual, feel free to ignore my raining on your parade!

--
Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/