[pmwiki-devel] DataQuery development (was: page text variables in edit form?)

Ben Stallings Ben at InterdependentWeb.com
Sat Nov 4 10:31:24 CST 2006

Crisses wrote:
> Allow the admin to make changes to some fields, or *maybe* assign the
> user a new password (which would require encryption before being saved
> to the database, however -- will that be able to be readily accounted
> for?).

It certainly should be, but it hasn't been a priority for me yet.
Currently I'm trying to use ADOdb's excellent, elegant Replace()
function for writing records, because it means that I can just dump the
$page array directly into the function without further processing, since
it just ignores any field names that don't match.  (I looked at Active
Record as well, but Replace meets my needs better.)  But to get the kind
of data integrity I'm hoping for, I'll need to check the incoming data
either on the client side with Javascript or on the server side prior to
writing the data (or both).

Javascript has the disadvantage of not working on every single platform
ever devised.  But it does work on 99.5% of them, and as far as
password-encrypting goes, it offers the appealing option of encrypting
the password *before* it gets transmitted, so that the password is never
sent as plain text.  Thoughts?

> P.S. I need to stop eating halloween candy over my keyboard ;)

Was it Mac OS or Windows that used to have an accessibility feature
called StickyKeys?  :-)  --Ben