[pmwiki-devel] Rethinking ZAP Login

The Editor editor at fast.st
Mon Apr 9 20:25:02 CDT 2007

Second post on this topic.  A brief recap though...  I'm always
looking for ways to simplify the ZAP login process by combining all
login information on one page.  I need however a way to encode/decode
certain values for security purposes.  I've developed my own simple,
but reasonably secure encoding scheme but not sure how to decode it.
That is, I can write the function, but not sure how to use it?

If I did it as {(decode {$:var})} I might as well not encode it, as
that would be available to about anyone.

If I lock it for admins I can't make it available to users to edit
their own emails, etc.  Though one idea is to make the code only
unlock for admins or if pagename = member name.  Hmmm that's an idea.

I was also thinking of putting some kind of initial identifier on the
values that would trigger ZAP to automatically decode them when
submitted in a form field, or perhaps a decode extension that would
decode any fields listed. Of course that requires more code in the
core engine, and this seems to me to be more of a peripheral
capability...

Basically, I just want to maintain reasonable security of a password
and email address and any other information from prying eyes, while
enabling admins and members to use and even edit them.  Maybe the idea
above is best.  Any input?

Cheers,
Dan

PS.  Here's the initial post...