[pmwiki-devel] mySQL as a DataStore for large pmwiki with lots of blogs

Ben Stallings ben at interdependentweb.com
Tue Feb 27 12:20:30 CST 2007

Pm replied to Siegfried,
> And yes, it would be possible to implement a PageStore class
> that uses MySQL, but since pagelist and page storage are largely
> orthogonal already, I don't think having a MySQL-based page storage
> will buy much until (:pagelist:) is redesigned to take advantage
> of it.

As the developer of the only current recipe that does this (DataQuery),
I have to agree that speed is not a reason to do it.  Pagelists of MySQL
records served up by DataQuery are noticeably slower than pagelists of
actual wiki pages -- unless you define a limit (e.g. only display 50
records at any given time) in the query, in which case they're
comparable.  So I cannot recommend using MySQL as a back-end to PmWiki
for reasons of speed.

However, there are other reasons to do it, notably ease of import and
export, so if you have an existing pile of data you need to get into
PmWiki, or if you anticipate needing to get a large pile of data out of
PmWiki in the future and so want to keep it organized in the meantime,
you can save time and trouble by using DataQuery.  --Ben S.