[pmwiki-devel] Exception for HTMLHeader block

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jan 18 13:52:09 CST 2007

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 08:20:42PM -0500, Henrik wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> I believe you asked a while ago if there was any situation in which
> HTMLHeader section was not required in a skin, and therefore a situation
> in which an error message should NOT be rendered in its absence. I have
> just created such a situation, namely a split window (aka frames).
>
> See http://parkcommons.ca/wiki/wiki.php?n=Help-Templates.SplitWindowSample
>
> Although it wouldn't do any harm (I don't think) to have the HTMLHeader
> block on the frame page, it certainly isn't required or even
> appropriate, and it would be cleaner to be able to turn off the error
> message somehow for this page.

My plan has been that a skin that does not want HTML headers can
specify this by explicitly placing a <!--NoHTMLHeader--> directive
in the template [1].  This would tell PmWiki that the absence of
<!--HTMLHeader--> is deliberate, not an oversight.

I'm still interested in opinions as to whether templates should
also be required to provide <!--HTMLFooter--> (or <!--NoHTMLFooter-->)
in order to avoid the error message.  So far I think I've only received
one response on this (and it was in favor of requiring HTMLFooter).

Thanks!

Pm

1.  http://www.pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2007-January/037806.html.