[pmwiki-devel] Email pattern...

Guillermo Calderon - INCO calderon at fing.edu.uy
Fri Jun 1 12:03:08 CDT 2007

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 07:39:24PM -0400, The Editor wrote:

>>The link above was quite interesting reading. No clue my simple
>>question would generate such interesting discussion.
>>
>>For my purposes, however, the double slash solved the basic problem.
>>I'm curious why the single slash did not escape the dot while the
>>double slash did. Can any one explain that?

It depends on using simple or double quotes.
If a string is writen between double quotes, php do some processing
previous to pass the string to the function; in particular every
single backslash is removed, since backslash is a special character in
a double quoted string used for: avoiding variable interpolation,
inserting double quotes in the string, writing control characters like
\n, \r, \b, etc.