[pmwiki-devel] Cluster & skin integration

The Editor editor at fast.st
Sun Mar 18 11:01:45 CDT 2007

On 3/18/07, Hans <design5 at softflow.co.uk> wrote:
> Sunday, March 18, 2007, 2:52:26 PM, The wrote:
>
> > And while it is true in no way produces hierarchical pages, the
> > "groups" are hierarchical in the sense everything is inheritable
> > according to an easily constructed hierarchy.
>
> Inheritance does not imply hierarchy.
> Well it may in a patriarchical order of things.
> I think you are stretching the term hierarchical to a new meaning,
> which is not any longer the one used in programming and operating
> systems. And which people expect when looking for group hierarchy,
> multi level group support, where one "child" group sits within the
> "parent" group.

Yes I've kind of gotten to that conclusion, in light of the resistance
to the term.  Maybe I should go back to the great name someone else
suggested--Mercury (I think it was Neil).  I guest I could change the
recipe name and page....  Or HgEffects...  Or just leave it as Hg (my
preference) and have someone write up a concise explanation of what Hg
and Cluster are NOT doing to put on the Hierarchical Groups cookbook
page.  I like this last option best...

> Hg and Cluster are only addressing  a certain substring name sharing.
>
> > HierarchicalPagenames($group, "SideBar")
>
> I really urge you not to use "hierarchical".
> A short name would be sweet as well, as it may have to be repeated
> a lot when defining the various PVs for a skin.
>
> Since it is only a function name and not used in PVs or anywhere
> on wiki pages, how about "GroupTrail"? Or "AncGroup" ?

I'd go for SubgroupPagenames or even SGPN.  What do you think of
either of these options?

Using Anc kind of skirts the issue as Main-Test is no more an ancester
of Main than it is in its hierarchy.  But subgroups are a terminology
both Cluster and Hg use in terms of its Subgroup page variables. So it
makes sense to share a function around shared terminology.

Cheers,
Dan