[pmwiki-devel] MatchPageNames

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Tue May 22 17:39:51 CDT 2007

Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 11:22:30 PM, Patrick wrote:

> In a pagelist command, if someone does

>     (:pagelist name=-PmWiki.*,-Site.* :)

> then they expect to see all pages that aren't in the PmWiki or Site
> groups.  They don't expect it to return zero pages because there
> weren't any inclusive patterns in the wildcard list.

Yes it makes sense in a pagelist. And I don't wish to change this.

> Put another way, given your interpretation, when would

>     echo (boolean)MatchPageNames($something, '-PmWiki.*,-Site.*');

> ever return someting other than false?

Never. And that was my intention.

> And why would having a pattern that always returns false be useful?

It is useful for the page posting permission check because by default
it needs explicit permissions being set, i.e. inclusive patterns need
to be added. If none are added then no permission will be given.

It is just the opposite from what one wants from pagelist behaviour.
Or to paraphrase your last question:
Why would a pagelist which always returns every page be useful?
I mean it is just as useful as giving no key means you can't open any
doors, but giving one key means you can open some door. ;-)

Just that the initial default condition should be "No posting
permissions", in the same way as (:pagelist:) is "All pages"

Hans