[pmwiki-devel] Is 'RightBar' the right name?

Jon Haupt jhaupt at gmail.com
Wed May 23 08:25:49 CDT 2007

On 5/23/07, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 08:44:03AM +0100, Hans wrote:
> > One thing we could argue about is, that SideBar should have been named
> > LeftBar. Then again, a skin designer could just use LeftBar in the skin
> > template, and let the admin worry what to put into it (i.e. SideBar or
> > PrimaryNavigation). But SideBar has become the default standard.
>
> I didn't use "LeftBar" because I wanted to preserve the
> possibility that it could go on either side.  See, for example,
> "lean skin" and "light skin".
>
> Pm

And I'm only suggesting that SideBar could also be a top bar, or a
middle bar, or a popup navigation, and as such the name is lacking in
some ways.  The skin template doesn't *need* to use location-based
names--indeed, I argue that it would make more sense not to.  It's
just that our current system favors it.

Jon