[pmwiki-devel] Intermittent Php error, seems to be in whitespace markup

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Feb 19 16:41:59 CST 2008

Since upgrading a site from 2.1.27 to 2.2beta65, I have
been getting intermittent php errors:

ERROR: pat=/^\s+ #1/ex Compilation failed:
unmatched parentheses at offset 8

This pattern is used in the scripts/stdmarkup.php to
support the '^ws' markup rule and the pattern has
indeed been changed since pmwiki 2.1.27. This appears
to be the only place it's used. In 2.1.27, the pattern
was '/^(\\s+)/e'.

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce this on demand and
reloading the page makes the problem go away -- it only
happens from time to time, with no obvious pattern.

I found one other reference to this problem in the mail
archive, but no solution.

The site is running under Apache/1.3.26 PHP/4.1.2
Debian GNU/Linux

Any ideas how to fix this? Will there be any adverse effects
if I change the patterns for the '^ws' and '^ ' rules back
to their 2.1.27 values via Markup calls in local/config.php
to see if the problem goes away?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
JR
--