[pmwiki-devel] [Fwd: help]

fodormik at interware.hu fodormik at interware.hu
Mon Mar 3 15:29:30 CST 2008

Hi all,

sorry, but I meet problems when trying to contact you. See my original
message below.

Hi Pm,

I'm familiarizing myself with pmwiki for 6 month to see whether it fits to
my major hobby: creating a non-profit community site for psychologists
with the aim of bringing closer the science to layman + offering the
possibility for users to contribute in scientific research.

During these months I became a fan of your concept: the simplicity and
elegance of the core idea is excellent for many purposes (including mine).
But! I have some suggestions for improvement in the field of attracting
well-prepared people to our sites. The concept:

EYE CATHING + EMPHASIS ON VISUAL COMMUNICATION + RESPECTING THE DIFFERENT
LEVELS OF EXPERTISE The background: well-prepared people usually have less
time to decide whether a topic is of their interest or not. Even the most
interesting texts are usually awfully long.

The solution: preparing visual abstracts (e.g. with pmwikidraw). Visual
abstract = a simple drawing (or gif/flash animation) and some text that
shows the essence of the long-long original text. The drawings come from
the normal document and the text can be the titles/subtitles (similar to
TOC).

Below I send you a brief specification of the homepage I would like to
build. I hope that after reading it you might understand better my
concept.

You are the first person I contacted in this topic because I'm really
impressed by pmwiki. Please reply to me asap letting me know if I can
count on your help or not. Although I think that my concept could enrich
pmwiki as such, if you disagree I'm interested to hire professionals who
can do it for me. In the second case I would appreciate recommendations.

Best regards & everytype of help is welcome,

Miklos Fodor (fodormik)
+36-70-312-0142
miklos at fodorhr.hu
fodormik at interware.hu

Hi,

I’m searching for a solution to build a non-profit homepage in the
area of psychology.

The following criteria should be met by the new homepage:

·	the homepage’s pages should work as a wiki (currently
I’m using the php-based pmwiki), meaning that all pages should be
editable, voting system (weighted by seniority) should work, rss and chat.
A freely expandable open source system would be the best
·	the pages should be able to contain simple images created &
editable with online (e.g. java based) editors (see pmwikidraw for
example), that also tracks the changes and the different version of a
drawing. Pmwikidraw would be excellent but it “forgets” the
previous version…
·	there should be a possibility to add flash / multiple gif / other
format simple drawing (different colored circles + text + lines +
freehand). If these would be editable as well that would be excellent
·	the content of the pages is typically text. But, there are
different level of details of the same text, depending on who how deep is
interested in the topic (compare with the Outline function of MS word, or
expandable menus). From the eye-catcher level to the fanatic level. The
same text (and this is an issue for the editor part as well, when writing
the text) should have different levels when appearing:
o	abstract’s level (eye-catching): some easy-to-understand drawings
+ 3-4 sentences covering the main idea of the text or a section
o	core text’s level: same as above + normal, detailed description of
the idea focusing on the important new ideas
o	examples’ level: additional examples that make the story more
understandable are added to the above
o	comment’s level: not core ideas, but things that are enriching the
text and give possibility for further thoughts are added
o	link’s level: online references are visible that link to different
articles and homepages
o	multimedia (fanatic) level: the very non-core part containing paintings,
music etc. that can be connected to the topic
o	a further dimension should be included in the all above depending on the
reader’s background:
§	professional or
§	layman (e.g. when explaining the meaning of the scientific terms)
The appearance of the page is set once (e.g. through cookies) by the user
but in each case it can be modified using buttons and “+” &
“-“ signs (similar to Word / Outline view)
	During the input of the text different colors should show to the writer
the main levels

Otherwise very simple and easy to use system is preferred.

In case of interest further details are available from
fodormik at interware.hu or miklos at fodorhr.hu