[pmwiki-devel] strange conversions: a FmtPageName bug

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Mar 8 20:31:43 CST 2008

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 12:36:09AM +0000, Hans wrote:
> Saturday, March 8, 2008, 11:58:35 PM, Hans wrote:
>
> > A less aggressive and more precise replacement can be done instead
> > with:
>
> >   foreach($g as $k=>$v)
> >         $fmt = preg_replace("/$k/",$v $fmt);
>
> that does not do it. Perhaps this, which asks for a word boundary:
>
>   foreach($g as $k => $v)
>           $fmt = preg_replace( "/\\$k\\b/", $v, $fmt);

PmWiki doesn't do this for performance reasons -- FmtPageName()
is one of the most frequently called functions in the codebase,
and it has to be as quick as possible.  In this case, str_replace()
is a _lot_ quicker than doing multiple preg_replace() calls.

Yes, the fact that globals "leak" into FmtPageName is a bit of
a pain, but I'd rather find ways to avoid the leaks than to
significantly slow down one of the most fundamental (and often called)
parts of the code.