[pmwiki-devel] [pmwiki-users] How do I create RSS feeds for changes to individual pages?

Henrik Bechmann henrik.bechmann at sympatico.ca
Tue May 27 10:48:40 CDT 2008

[==shifted to pmwiki-devel==]]

FWIW, at the design level, I've thought about this quite a bit. I think
there are a number of "feeds" from a page that would be helpful in a
variety of circumstances (I've named them collectively "summary feeds"):

1. Web feeds (ie RSS or Atom, could also appear as summaries on overview
pages)
2. Microfeeds (mini-summaries that can appear on teaser pages)
3. Segment feeds (based on current #start#end approach, though could be
multiple sections pasted together, ie sets of marker pairs)
4. Change feeds (more or less the current change page format, but
excluding minor changes if marked)

My current thinking is that at least the first two need to be written in
separate text boxes, and this should happen on the edit page while the
user has the context to do it. Most of the time the user should be able
to accomplish this with a bit of cut and paste. Probably requires use of
tabs on the edit page. All types of feeds could have options available
to control timing and content of output.

All feeds would be available for both publishing (RSS etc., by inclusion
on specified wiki rss pages? special application of pagelist?), and
internal website inclusion (regular markup).

For inclusion, I would have (:includepage:), (:includemicrofeed:),
(:includewebfeed:), (:includesegmentfeed:), (:includechangefeed:),
though natively it could be something like (:include
selector=page|micro|web|segment|change pagename:).

I think these options would be useful for internal website use, for
federating websites, as well for straight-on publishing.

This might be much more functionality than is appropriate for PmWiki
(which I am looking at as more of an engine than a completed
application). In other words all of this might be far more appropriate
as an add-on (recipe).

Also there are all kinds of issues around this that I haven't begun to
address, or probably even discover,. eg. the use of markup, the
interface on edit pages, ease of use in publishing or inclusion,
inclusion logic (eg. activation and expire dates) etc. etc.

- Henrik

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 03:32:57PM +0200, Thomas Tempelmann wrote:
>
>> Whenever I create a new page on my pmwiki, I like to offer a RSS link to
>> that readers can quickly learn of updates to the particular page.
>>

> We've generally blocked on this particular feature because there's
> not a clear statement of what such a feed should look like.
>
> In particular, what should the description of each update contain?
> If it's to be a summary of changes in the versions -- how can we
> display that concisely in text?
>
> Pm

Henrik Bechmann
bechmann.ca