[pmwiki-devel] ResolvePageName() before config.php

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Apr 20 02:57:05 CDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 08:27:47AM +0200, Peter Bowers wrote:

> Wouldn't it make better sense to call ResolvePageName() *before*
> config.php is included?  Is there a down-side to this?

Yes, there is a downside.

There are some (older) recipes and local customizations
that expect an unadulterated $pagename when coming into config.php,
so that they can easily perform various actions and transformations
based on what was given in the url as opposed to the transformed
result of ResolvePageName().  Moving ResolvePageName() to occur
before config.php makes it more difficult to handle those properly,
and causes quite a few backwards compatibility problems.

Perhaps we should've provided an "$origpagename" variable that
recipes and configs could use instead of the processed $pagename...
but alas, hindsight isn't very helpful here.  We could see about
slowly migrating things to that model, but I suspect it would
be quite a long time before we could move ResolvePageName()
without breaking more existing sites than I'm comfortable with.