[pmwiki-devel] Uploads Subfolders by Category/SubCategory

Mike Ruiz psyclo70 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 27 11:19:35 CDT 2009

Hi,

I'm new to pmwiki, so I apologize if this has been addressed already, and sorry about the length. I looked in the achives and didn't find anything on this particular challenge. I did read about why categories haven't been added, but I don't think my issue was addressed there. (I've been reading the pmwiki site for the last 5 days, and haven't seen this.)

 I'm trying to modify a pmwiki so that files from a serveral directories under the uploads folder are included, and users are able to upload files directly to subdirectories. I'm aware of the Uploads: addon, but I can only get it to recognize 2 levels folders under the uploads: cookbook recipe. I need 3 levels.

 I'd like to be able to give users a pull down menu so they can categorize their upload, and from there it would be put in the appropriate directory, subdirectory or sub-subdirectory.

 I'm playing around with different methods of doing this: modifying the uploads recipe, or writing a whole new script. But I was hoping someone would point the way to information about pmwiki's code (which is a bit confusing to me at this time) so I can make the appropriate choice. I simply do not understand the nuances of functions so I'm not sure where to start to plug things in. Shoud I create a prepend the pull down to the input of the file name parser to something like $Category/$SubCategory/$SubSub/$Name and somehow figure out how to hand it off to the proper upload.php function? Which would I hand it off to? Or is there a more elegant solution, such as hijacking the $Groups/$Name feature in uploads?

 As far as feedback on pmwiki, I would like to see more comments in the code explaining what each function does in case it's not obvious to a relatively new php developer like myself. I'm particularly looking for something like the comments in Uploads_Markup.php cookbook recipe.

 Thank you in advance for your help. I hope someone out there can help me. And thanks for your time.

Mike