[pmwiki-devel] Add guid tag to each item of RSS feeds

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Jan 2 11:47:55 CST 2010

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 11:33:01AM -0600, Daniel Roesler wrote:
> I say we have the <link> element contain {$PageUrl} (like it does now)
> and add a separate <guid> element that adds on a unique identifier by
> default. I'm ok with the uid being ISO instead of Unix, but we really
> need unique links for RSS feeds.

We *do* have unique links for RSS feeds -- each page url serves
as its own guid (by virtue of there not being a guid entry by
default).

The question I'm posing is whether each separate edit to a page
should default to generating a new guid for the page.  I think
that should be a per-site decision, not something that PmWiki
dictates to be the case.

On the other hand, if the vast majority of sites expect that
every edit should result in a new entry in an aggregator, then
I'm willing to change the default, as long as we make it clear
how to get back to the other behavior.