[pmwiki-devel] preg_replace /e depreciated in php 5.5

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Fri Sep 6 00:11:30 CDT 2013

> Rich writes:
>> Using latest release (pmwiki-2.2.54) and even with the ignore statement
>> continue to get this error with PHP 5.5.1.  Any progress or suggestions?

> Also, the feature is deprecated in PHP 5.5, but not removed, and probably
> will not be removed any time soon. What should we do?

Would it be feasible to do a straight port of PmWiki to Python, leaving
the current php version as a legacy implementation?

I understand and agree with the reasons for originally choosing php, but
that was then and this is now. This is anecdote rather than evidence, but
I know several people who are teaching Python to their teenage children as
a first programming language, "so they learn good habits".

This would obviously break the Cookbook recipes, but so would changing the
php code, as Petko notes.

Could someone with a knowledge of Python advise whether it would be
practical and sensible to re-implement the PmWiki design? Alternatively,
an answer along the lines of "Dumb idea because ..." would help.

JR
--
John Rankin