[pmwiki-devel] Default Skin: Switch to CSS Table?

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Tue Jun 3 18:10:27 CDT 2014

H. Fox writes:
> I've discovered a one-skin option to consider.
>
> Conditional Comments are only used by IE. We could use those to insert
> the HTML table elements only for old versions of Internet Explorer.
>
> For example, this

>       <!--wiki:{$Group}.SideBar {$SiteGroup}.SideBar-->
>
> becomes something like this

>     <!--[if lt IE 8 ]><td valign='top'><![endif]-->
>       <!--wiki:{$Group}.SideBar {$SiteGroup}.SideBar-->
>     <!--[if lt IE 8 ]></td><![endif]-->

MSIE<8 will see this exact markup as invalid, ie. div tags in the space
though, or it can definitely be made valid with some tweaking.

But will this still be in line of the goals of the original skin? IIRC
simple and easy to study and modify by a novice administrator?

Recalling from previous discussions with Pm and the community, probably the
least bad solution would be to add the (previous simpler) tableless skin
with a different name. Keep the current default skin named "pmwiki". Add in
the sample-config.php the two skins so people can select the one which they
want. Not force a change to existing websites which upgrade.

Petko