[pmwiki-devel] Conversion of characters

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Wed Nov 11 03:32:55 CST 2015

Your site is in the ISO-8859-1 encoding but the skin template is saved
with a Unicode Byte Order Mark <U+FEFF> and the browsers cannot display
the pages properly. It is also likely that they cannot save the pages
properly, and that the currently saved pages with diacritic characters
may need to be re-edited (The typed characters that appear correctly are
in UTF-8 not in ISO because your browser sent them this way; those
generated by PmWiki are in ISO).

Open the skin template in a text editor and save it in the ISO-8859-1
encoding (or charset). With some editors you can select the encoding in
the File-SaveAs dialog box. In others it may be in the Tools-Encoding or
in the View menus.

Also make sure you don't have a Byte Order Mark selected/checked. This
usually applies when you edit Unicode/UTF-8 files. On my editor (Kate)
in the menu Tools there shouldn't be a checkbox at "Add Byte Order Mark
(BOM)". On others there may be a checkbox in the File-SaveAs menu, or
there may be an option "Unicode UTF-8 without BOM".

The same applies to any other files you save, especially PHP files.

Actually, it is even possible that one of your PHP files is saved in
UTF-8 with BOM, and it displays the BOM before the skin is loaded. Check
all recipes and local PHP files.

Start by the skin then by the recipes you installed or upgraded
recently.

Petko

---
Change log     :  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/ChangeLog