[pmwiki-devel] SkinTest page for developers

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Sep 3 00:54:56 CDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Petko Yotov <5ko at 5ko.fr> wrote:
> On 2016-08-31 22:10, H. Fox wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 7:54 AM, Petko Yotov <5ko at 5ko.fr> wrote:
>>>
>>> Your SkinTestAssortment page is a good start in that direction (thanks!),
>>> so
>>> for the moment I linked to it from the SkinsHeader page.
>>

>> Would it be even easier to have a separate page like Skins/SkinTest
>> that includes the Compact page?
>

> There is no problem if a selected compact set of markups is included as a
> first section.

On further thought, the same page could be both compact and
comprehensive. The compact stuff just needs to be at the top.

Links to test other skins should be immediately below the compact
portion (like they are). Anything else could be below the test-a-skin
links.

Even all the content from the other test page can go below the links, I suppose.

>> What about links in the list that are:
>>
>> * Old skins that are broken?
>

> If I'm a webmaster I'd like to see that the skin is broken before
> downloading it.

Agreed!

That's why I put the Compact test link and also links to test for
valid HTML, CSS, and RWD in the SkinsHeader.

Regarding the SkinsHeader, the purpose-built [[SkinTest-Compact]] page
seems more appropriate than [[Test/SkinTestAssortment]] there. Why did
you switch?!

>> * Skins that aren't installed?
>

> They should be installed (when I find the free time to review them), unless
> if I notice some security issues, or blatant spam, or something else that
> should not be in a recipe.

Thanks for doing that. Much appreciated!

I was referring to some skins that aren't installed (and won't be)
that are in the list.

>> * Links that aren't skins at all?
>

> When we split the Cookbook group to the Skins group, people insisted that
> not only skins, but any and all recipes related to skins should be there,
> and moved these non-skin, but skin-related recipes from the Cookbook to
> Skins. Indeed, this now makes it more complex to create an automatic list of
> links. But there are several ways to do it: either add a negative name=
> parameter to the pagelist like
>    (:pagelist group=Skins name=-NeitherASkin,-NorASkin:)
>
> or, use a negative keyword inside the non-skin recipes, e.g.  (:comment
> not_a_skin:) then subtract these pages with a negative search like
>    (:pagelist group=Skins -not_a_skin:)
>
> or add the [[!Skins]] category to actual skins, and only to them, and use
>   (:pagelist group=Skins link=Category.Skins:)

...or something like [[!SkinsTestList]] or [[!SkinsTestInclude]], and
add that to the template so newly posted skins get included
automagically.

Regarding "why bother curating?"...

The reason a curated list is better is because when people are given
too many choices sometimes they choose not choose at all.

In particular, some webmasters may be "maximizers" (as opposed to
"satisficers") who will experience psychological stress when given too
many choices. Sometimes less is more.

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice

Put another way: "Avoid information overload for best results."

Hagan