[Pmwiki-users] Strange problem with pmwiki

Davis, James C. jdavis at cob.tamucc.edu
Wed Aug 21 11:16:36 CDT 2002

I am having a strange problem with pmwiki that I haven't been able to figure
out. We are running pmwiki on a RedHat 7.3 box, with apache 1.3.23-11. For
some reason, when some computers access the wiki pages, it takes about 3-4
minutes for the server to respond. These machines can access other pages on
the server, including other php scripts, without difficulty. I even tried
putting a "hello world" php script in the folder where pmwiki.php is, and it
worked fine. I even went so far as to temporarily back up pmwiki.php and
name my "hello world" script pmwiki.php, and that worked fine too. I can
find no pattern to which machines can access wiki properly and which cannot
except that all machines on the same subnet as the server seem to work fine.
I do know that several machines on-campus and at least one off campus work
fine, but there are several that don't work that are on the same subnet as
other machines that work. Also, it seems to be browser independent, it does
this with both IE and Netscape. We have two machines with the same version
of IE on the same subnet, and one works, the other doesn't. When attempting
to access the wiki pages the browser says it is loading the page, nothing is
displayed for about 3-4 minutes, and then it pops up fine. It does this
every time you view any wiki page. Another thing I tried is installing a
clean version of pmwiki in a new directory, but this too had the same
problem. This problem seems to exist for all versions of pmwiki. Server logs
are inconclusive. They show the normal 200 response codes. Another note:
these machines are able to access the SciTechWiki fine.

Our WikiWikiWeb is located at: http://lex.tamucc.edu/wiki

I am stumped. Any insight in to what could be causing this would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

James Davis
Network Manager