[Pmwiki-users] Re: An outline for WikiOutlines with inlined markup?

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Thu Nov 7 15:36:52 CST 2002

(Nice to see that other people think while I sleep)

In my mind, the underlying principle being discussed is to reveal the *=
context* of a stop on a trail. This has a horizontal dimension (Previous | =
Next) and a vertical dimension TopPage ... ParentPage ThisPage (and =
possibly FirstChild | LastChild). It makes sense to render both =
horizontally in breadcrumb style, in which case (as noted in earlier =
comments) the visitor needs cues to the dimensions.

I suggest (I'm sure it can be improved):

TopPage ^ ... ^ ParentPage ^ ThisPage
< PreviousPage | FirstChild | LastChild | NextPage >

In the simple case of a pure trail (as opposed to an outline), it produces =
2 lines (clarity versus brevity):

TrailPage ^ ThisPage
< PreviousPage | NextPage >

JR

On Friday, 8 November 2002 7:14 AM, Jonathan Scott Duff <duff at cbi.tamucc.=
edu> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 11:07:00AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> WikiOutline rendering, revisited:
> Upon reflection, there may (keyword: "may") be some reasonable =
renderings
> if we use abbreviated outlines.  For example, we could do:
>=20
>   TopOutLinePage
>     FirstLevelPageB
>       SecondLevelPage2
>         PreviousPage
>         CurrentPage
>         NextPage
>=20
> which omits everything not directly related to CurrentPage by location
> or ancestry.  Or, following a breadcrumb model, some variation of:
>=20
>   OutlinePage > FirstLevelPageB > SecondLevelPage2 > CurrentPage
>   (Prev: PreviousPage  Next: NextPage)
>=20
> which gets us down to two lines of mostly inlined text.
>
> Comments?  Further improvements?

I like the breadcrumby version.=20