[Pmwiki-users] Restore feature

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at sci.tamucc.edu
Tue Nov 19 17:44:34 CST 2002

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Davis, James C. wrote:

> I'll vote for revert, as it is more concise than my previous suggestion.
>
> Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary defines revert as:
>
> revert: to come or go back (as to a former condition, period, or subject)
>
> I think this best describes what the function does.
>
> I would still like to suggest that revert take you to a preview of the page
> with a confirmation button, rather than the edit page.

Okay, I'm liking "revert", kinda.

I'd like to call for a vote on the issue of going to a preview page
rather than directly to the edit page (I don't have a strong feeling
for this one).  Choose between:

   1.  Clicking "revert" takes you to directly to the edit page with
       the previous version restored.  (Current implementation)
   2.  Clicking "revert" shows you the page as it existed in a previous
       version, with a button at the bottom that says "Restore this page".
   3.  Clicking "revert" shows you the page as it existed in a previous
       version, with one button at the bottom that says "Restore this page"
       and another button that says "Edit from this version".

Note that if we choose #2 or #3 then I think that "revert" becomes an
incorrect label for the links on the page revisions display, since clicking
the link doesn't actually cause the page to "revert" but simply previews
a previous version of the page.