[Pmwiki-users] More on attachments

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at sci.tamucc.edu
Mon Nov 25 11:37:05 CST 2002

On 25 Nov 2002, John Rankin wrote:

> maybe:
>    {{bookreference%The Mythical Man Month}}
> Because if in principle (if not in practice) any markup can have a
> style attached, for example @@jrcontribution%markup is difficult to
> get right@@ or
> !!!helptext%How to write for the web
> then I think %style%content%% is inconsistent (why isn't it opening %%?).

Oh, I wasn't planning to attach the %style% idea to existing markup.
It would become new markup.  From some of your examples:

   %bookreference% The Mythical Man Month %%
   !!! %helptext% How to write for the web

>Or would I write:
>
>    @@%jrcontribution%markup is difficult to get right@@

Perhaps, but I would've written it as:

    %jrcontribution% @@markup is difficult to get right@@

Although the %style%...%% could be "nested/containerized",
I've been thinking that it wouldn't have to be.  %style% can simply mean
"apply this style to any text/markup that follows on the same line, up to
the next %style% markup".  Thus one could write:

   This text is %red% red, %green% green, and %blue% blue.%%  This text
   is normal again.

instead of having to have closing %%-tags, as in:

   This text is %red% red, %% %green% green, and %% %blue%blue.%%.  This
   text is normal again.

Or put another way, the %% is not really a "close style tag"--it simply
means "apply no style formatting for text/markup that follows on the
same line, up to the next %style% markup".

But perhaps this is just too much of a paradigm shift for all of the XML/
HTML authors out there who are used to thinking mainly in terms of containers
and nested tags.