[Pmwiki-users] Re: Need help with markup

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at sci.tamucc.edu
Tue Oct 15 14:26:22 CDT 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Jessica Tishmack wrote:

> I don't like this, because  ||- ||+ and || seem even less self explanatory
> than <tr> <td>.  I liked your other suggestions, because it's not
> something the user is going to have to look at the documentation every
> time in order to remember what to do...which will discourage them from
> using it.

Oh, I'm not necessarily wanting people to use it--I think most pages
are better off without the tables altogether and unfortunately
there's a *huge* potential and temptation for abuse.  I've just run
into a couple of situations where having some sort of large-scale
table control is really necessary if I'm going to use PmWiki as a
web-maintenance engine.

Also, from an implementation perspective, I think I'm going to have to
require that cell markups appear at the beginning of a line, otherwise
the interactions with other markups just gets way too confusing to
keep up with.  Thus

        [[cell]] col 1 [[cell]] col 2 [[cell]] col3 [[endtable]]

won't work--each directive will have to be at the beginning of its
own line, as in:

	[[cell]] col 1
	[[cell]]
	col 2