[Pmwiki-users] Minor change suggestion: backtick

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Sun Apr 27 19:03:55 CDT 2003

> > Why not let an author use a backtick as an escape character, so one =
could write:
> >   [[#Named`Reference]]
> >   &A`Elig;
> >   CE`Os
> > It's also a one line change to look for `[A-Z] and remove the `. The =
only=20
> > side effect I can think of is what would happen to ThisPage:#TopOfPage =
for example.
>=20
> My biggest concern would be with people cutting/pasting text containing
> typographic quotes.  I.e., some packages and programs would quote
> things as ``Hello World'' and this change would cause that to break.
>=20
> It might be workable as a local customization by adding
> the line:
>=20
>   $InlineReplacements =3D=20
>     array_merge(array("/`([A-Z])/" =3D> "\$1"),$InlineReplacements);

Change that pattern to something like "/([a-z])`([A-Z)/" =3D> "\$1\$2" and =
bet it would be just fine.  I don't know of any cases where someone
would *want* a single backtick surrounded by word chars.

-Scott
--=20
Jonathan Scott Duff
duff at cbi.tamucc.edu
----

I ended up using ([A-Za-z0-9.\\/])`([A-Z]), so we can write CI`Os and GNU/`=
Linux :)

JR