[Pmwiki-users] enhanced search?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at sci.tamucc.edu
Wed Apr 30 06:55:06 CDT 2003

On 30 Apr 2003, John Rankin wrote:

> Some observations:
> 1. I like the suggestion of a simple seach and an advanced search.
> I propose a simple search box on each page and a separate
> AdvancedSearch link.
> 2. I'd rather not have to remember advanced search syntax.

Hmmm, I wasn't really planning to implement a separate "advanced search"
function.  All I was planning to do was to have some additional search term
capabilities in the simple search box, such as being able to limit searches
to a group, or being able to exclude terms from the search results.  The
additional search capabilities could be used or ignored depending on the
needs/ understanding of the user.

> 3. I am lazy -- I consciously proposed 'group:search term' and not
> 'group:name search term'.

I'm willing to implement both versions--but for 'group: search term' I'd
really prefer to use something other than a colon to avoid cognitive conflicts
with InterMap links.  To me "Main: search term" makes "Main" look like an
InterMap link and not a group.

> 4. The wikipedia search results page knows the available namespaces
> (groups) and you can check the ones you'd like to search. I don't suppose...

Maybe.  Someday.  :-)

> 7. I assume that a simple search for apple will continue to
> find references to grapple, apples and crapplet.

I was thinking that the simple search would look for word boundaries, but
I can leave it as a straight substring search (or as an option for the
WikiAdministrator to choose).  But this begs a question, should
a search for "apple butter" (w/o the quotes) look for the phrase or for
pages containing both "apple" and "butter"?

> 9. If there is an advanced page, searching on revision date could
> leverage off AllRecentPages.

If search on revision date (and other truly "advanced search" options)
are implemented, it'll be as an add-on module.  I definitely wasn't
planning to add that as part of this effort.

> [...] I see this as a nice to have.

Ditto.