[Pmwiki-users] WikiDocRoot ?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Aug 1 12:57:38 CDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 04:44:13PM +0200, Carlo Strozzi wrote:

> You are right, $WikiDocRootUrl is probably a better choice :-)

Also, I'm thinking that perhaps we should establish a standard
subdirectory where files that need to be available via a direct URL
can be placed other than the pmwiki root.  Several of the skin
customizations being developed require image files or CSS files which
have to be directly accessible, and probably belong somewhere other
than the pmwiki root directory.  I know I would certainly like to
move the pmwiki-50.gif and .psd files out of the pmwiki root directory.

So, maybe a structure like:

   pmwiki/
     local/            - local customizations, not accessible via URL
     pmwiki.php        - the main pmwiki program
     scripts/          - distributed script files, not accessible via URL
     wiki.d/           - wiki pages
     wikilib.d/        - wiki page library for distributed pages
     pub/              - files accessible via web server
       img/            - images
	 pmwiki-50.gif - PmWiki default logo
       upload/         - upload directory

This structure may be desirable because some PmWiki installations
(such as my own) actually have the pmwiki/ subdirectory somewhere that
cannot be directly reached via a URL, and I've created symlinks for
the parts that do need to be accessed.  By putting all of the web-accessible
files in a pub/ subdirectory only one symlink is needed to make them
accessible via a url.

We could then define a variable $WikiPubUrl which is the url for the pub/
subdirectory, which contains all of the PmWiki files that need to be
accessible via a direct URL.  By default $WikiPubUrl would be set to
"$ScriptDir/pub", but one could easily redefine this to point to a different
url if the script's url is different from the url of this directory.

Of course this would all be done in a backwards-compatible manner for
existing PmWiki installations.  Comments, suggestions, thoughts from the
group?