[Pmwiki-users] Markup

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Thu Aug 7 13:38:42 CDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 09:23:17PM +0200, Massimiliano Mirra wrote:
> This had me wonder: is wiki a simplified markup or a transparent,
> implicit markup? With transparent markup I mean that text appears
> completely clean and natural to the casual reader, an ordinary plain
> text document.

By that definition pmwiki is mostly transparent.  i.e., the markup
stays out of the way

> I do not mean to imply that one answer to the question is better than
> the other.  I had not considered it before but more or less
> unconsciouly assumed that wiki text had to be transparent.  Maybe this
> is because I am so fond of Emacs and text editing that I mostly see
> HTML rendering as an add-on. :-) I would really like to hear others'
> opinion (especially Patrick's since this obviously sets the direction
> for a wiki).

Sometimes the best markup is invisible :-)  I've sometimes wanted to
write tables like this and have pmwiki figure out what's a header and
where the boundaries are:

Package			Status	Severity	Description
-------			------	--------	-----------
mozilla-locale-it	open	bug		Non pacchettizzato per
						la versione installata
						su Knoppix.
knoppiversity-skel-it	open	bug 		La directory /etc/skel
						non viene copiata come
						tale
links2			open	bug		Compilato in Woody,
						non funziona in Knoppix,
						perch?

but never wanted it bad enough to implement it  :-)

But if you wanted to define your own specialized markup for the
purposes of your bugs database, you could (assuming you know enough
PHP to do so).  For instance, I like this one:

=package mozilla-locale-it
=status open
=severity bug
=description Non pacchettizzato per la versione installata su Knoppix.

=package knoppiversity-skel-it
=status open
=severity bug
=description La directory /etc/skel non viene copiata come tale

=package links2
=status open
=severity bug
=description Compilato in Woody, non funziona in Knoppix, perch?

That's the beauty of pmwiki: you can tailor your answer to the problem
at hand  :-)

Anyway, putting it in tables as you have done is perfectly fine too.
Probably better than other methods even as it uses nothing special
(i.e., no local customizations).

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff