[Pmwiki-users] CVS features was: discussion on line breaks

Christian Ridderström chr
Tue Aug 12 11:18:55 CDT 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 08:59:05AM -0400, Crisses wrote:
>
> A somewhat less useful approach is to do simultaneous edit detection
> as opposed to page locking.  In this approach PmWiki detects when
> a simultaneous edit situation has occurred, and then warns the second
> and subsequent simultaneous posters that the document was modified
> while they were editing it and gets them to resolve it somehow.

This solution is used by for instance MoinMoin-wiki, and works well in my
experience.

IIRC, in their implementation a time stamp is added to the form where you
edit the page, and then when the form is submitted, the wiki engine
checks that the posted form was based on the latest version of the page.

In this case, it would be nice with a "Merge" button for instance. Using
MoinMoin, you basically have to implement your changes again.

Another button that you could have here is "Overwrite", that would ignore
whatever changes where made earlier, but I think merge is a much better
solution.

In my experience, locking is mostly annoying.

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44		http://www.md.kth.se/~chr