[Pmwiki-users] Markup

Pedro Miller Rabinovitch miller
Thu Aug 28 08:43:53 CDT 2003

On Thursday 28 August 2003 07:06, Carlo Strozzi wrote:
> This discussion is certainly interesting, but once again I would like to
> stress one point: if we have to furhter sophisticate the current PmWiki
> markup then we had better to revert to XML right away, and re-design the
> whole system from ground-up. The need for two-way conversions should be

<IMHO>
I've come to accept that redesign is an acceptable part of bottom-up
development and should be embraced and accepted when necessary.

> handled with XML+XSLT and all those well-known technologies. The system
> could adopt a client-server design, with a downloadable WYSIWYG editor
> module (written in some client-side scripting language for browser
> plug-in's, such as java or macromedia flash), with an RPC-style protocol
> between the client and the server part (like XML-RPC or something), and
> things like that.

That could be an option (although I'd use different technologies for the same
purpose), as long as the original HTML interface remains available.

> But are we really sure we want to start a big project
> like that ? Or shouldn't we rather stick with what a wiki is supposed to
> be, that is a *simple* HTML on-line editor "for the masses" ?

Aaahh, the subtleties of irony. >:) Ok, here's the thing: there's a difference
between a *simple* on-line editor and a *simple use* on-line editor. (We
could also speak of *simple development* and *simple installation* on-lines
editor. Bring on *simple maintenance* as well, there's plenty of room.)
</IMHO>

The example you gave above, using downloadable WYSIWYG (which I'm not a fan
of, btw) editor modules, etc., could actually be ok, as long as people could
still use the HTML quick-and-simple interface to write quick-and-simple
markup, which is what made me fall in love with Wikis in the first place.

I'd unlikely be the one to defend a complex Wiki system. And I'd *NEVER* be
the one to defend a complex Wiki interface. "Contrairiwise", said Tweedledum,
"different markup styles available would make it easier for people with
different preferences co-exist and collaborate. Or do you think the dream is
yours?"

Kind regards,

	Pedro

"I see nobody on the road," said Alice, squinting her eyes as much as she
could. "O!", exclaimed the White King, "to be young again and have such good
eyes as to see Nobody!"