[Pmwiki-users] page revisions: alternative "merged" view?

Fabio Reis Cecin frcecin
Tue Dec 16 10:09:36 CST 2003

On 16 Dec 2003 at 10:39, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:

> Now for me to propose my own wacky idea. What if there were a password
> protected way to mark a page such that you could restore it back to the
> state it was in at the time of the mark? Or view the revisions since the
> mark or show all recent changes (to all pages) since the mark or other
> such things.

I noticed that some wikis (PhpWiki) automatically detect and merge
"minor edits" in the  page's history. For instance, two changes commited
from the same IP address in less than X minutes (say, 5) is considered a minor
edit and the later replaces the former in the history. This would help reduce
vandalisers that would try to "page-revision the wiki to death".

Maybe instead of setting explicit marks, you could ask to see what a
page looked like X days ago. Pro: you know the page was good yesterday,
so, it's quicker to zap it back. Con: maybe somebody did a change in
less than X days ago, and it is "lost" (well, it's still in the "complete"
history). Again, in the case of a wiki-revision exploit, the revision page
would be too big to browse, and you'd just like to go back to what the
page was like yesterday.

> > Also, if somebody else would see the crappage on the front page
> > and would attempt to restore it, maybe the "diff" view wouldn't
> > be too friendly. What you think?
>
> Nah, the diff view isn't all that friendly but it's the best friend we
> have so far :-)

Ok, you're probably right :-)
But then I was going to suggest a viewcvs-like thingy...
hmm...

[]'s
Fabio