[Pmwiki-users] Bug with intermap links and '@'

Christian Ridderström chr
Tue Dec 23 13:59:14 CST 2003

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> The problem is that @ characters are legal in URIs and therefore should
> be allowed as part of URI path components (RFC 2396, section 3.3).

One '@' as in 'mailto:chr at home.se' is ok, but are two, i.e. '@@', allowed?
 [Note: after a lot of reading, it's fine in some situations]
In addition, if two in a row really are needed, why not require that
the users simply escape the second '@' using %40? For example, if for some
mysterious reason I wanted to encode: InterMap:chr@@home.se, it could be
done like this:
	InterMap:chr@%40home.se

In addition, I just tested that escaping works with pmwiki already,
i.e. this worked just fine:
	ftp://chr%40some-ftp-server.se

The only drawback with the above is that when two '@' are needed, the
second will not appear on screen as a '@'... unless you rewrite it as:
	[[InterMap:chr@%40home.se chr@@home.se]]
of course.

> possible workarounds would be:
>    Use a space:
>       @@MeatBall:InterMap @@
I know, I use that now, but I keep forgetting to insert the space.

>    Use [==] to delimit the URL:
>       @@MeatBall:InterMap[==]@@
Doesn't work, it produces this URI
	http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?InterMap@@

>    Define a different markup sequence based on characters not allowed in URLs:
>       @@MeatBall:InterMap<<
A bit ugly... ;-)

> While one can always do whatever they wish with local modifications, I don't
> want to globally disallow @ or @@ from URIs, or try to re-order the sequence
> in which PmWiki does its processing simply based on this one bug/annoyance.

See what you think about what I wrote at the top, and if you still object,
I'll just settle for a local modification (cookbook?) like you say.

/Christian

PS. I can write the recepy, but I wouldn't mind a tip on what needs
changing.... :-)