[Pmwiki-users] pmwiki rss problem

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sun Dec 28 19:58:12 CST 2003

The problem appears to be that RSS/RDF documents do not have support
for HTML entities or non-ASCII characters.  I've researched the topic
a bit, and the best solution for removing non-ASCII characters appears to
be to convert them to the form &#nnn; .  For example, the word
"merkw?rdigerweise" would be translated into "merkwürdigerweise".

Handling named character entitites such as "—" is a bit trickier,
because those aren't defined by default in XML.  However, the RSS 1.0
core specification recommends adding the following to the
DOCTYPE to enable XHTML entities in RSS 1.0 (RDF) documents
(http://web.resource.org/rss/1.0/spec):

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!DOCTYPE rdf:RDF [
      <!ENTITY % HTMLlat1 PUBLIC "-//W3C//ENTITIES Latin 1 for XHTML//EN"
        "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-lat1.ent"> %HTMLlat1;
      <!ENTITY % HTMLspecial PUBLIC "-//W3C//ENTITIES Special for XHTML//EN"
        "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-special.ent"> %HTMLspecial;
    ]>

    <rdf:RDF
     xmlns="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/"

I can make this change to the distributed rss.php module if anyone would
like me to do that.  In the meantime, I've already made this change to
rss.php on the pmichaud.com site, so that we can verify that it works
for http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/Main/AllRecentChanges?action=rss .

I haven't made the change on pmichaud.com to convert non-ASCII characters
into XML character entities but should be able do that tomorrow sometime
and issue a release.

Please let me know soon if anyone does *not* want the above DOCTYPE
specification added to the rss.php script.

Pm