[Pmwiki-users] a plan to do diff/patch in PHP ?

Carlo Strozzi carlos
Thu Jul 31 08:33:45 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 11:14:48AM +0200, garfield_fr wrote:
> I'm not allowed by the provider to have executable on my site and for security raisons, it will never allow executable!!
> (http://membres.lycos.fr/stella03/pmwiki2/)

Hmm, I see. Well, honestly, then I would switch to a different
provider right away. We have rather good (and cheap) ones here,
and they give you a rather secure chroot() environment where you
can do more or less whatever you like, apart from being root of
course. You can telnet/ftp/ssh into your account, or if you are
not familiar with unix you can use web control panels, like Ensim
(http://www.ensim.com/products/webppliance/linux/guidedtour.html)(*),
for instance. For for ridiculous prices that can provide you with
merchant facilities, SMS gateways, payment gateways, and every sort of
other things. And you can resell your services to your customers, too.
And they do not clutter your account with cookies, commercials and all
that garbage that lycos and friends impose on the stuff that they are
hosting.

> And with Diff/Patch in full PHP, pmWiki will be OS independant and I think is a good goal.

GNU diff (and friends) can be installed also on Windows, provided that
you are not forbidden to to so.

My apologies for my OT comments.

Carlo

(*) I have no connection whatsoever with that company, I used it just
as an example.

--
For best reading please set the Courier font.
Freedom for Business: http://swpat.ffii.org