[Pmwiki-users] Not saving the entire text

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu May 8 08:12:35 CDT 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 07:55:30AM -0500, Philip Mateescu wrote:

> Sometimes, especially when entering a longer text and not saving for
> some time, PmWiki doesn't save the entire text.

What browser are you using?  One of my sites ran into this problem
a while ago and we traced the problem to Netscape (version 4, but
version 6 also seems to have some problems).  Apparently Netscape
is unable to properly handle text fields longer than about 32K in size.

PmWiki itself doesn't have any text size limits that I'm aware of--
and I've used it to successfully and reliably create pages containing
over 200K of markup text.

> 3. In the list of page revisions I can see a large block of text
> replaced by a blank section.

This really makes me suspect the browser, at it looks like PmWiki
is receiving truncated text and accurately recording the page revision
as such.  If it's not the browser, it may be a PHP bug or limitation.
It could also be that Apache is limiting the size of submissions
(Apache's LimitRequestBody directive), but normally that returns an
error page as opposed to passing the truncated information to the script.

> Sometimes it takes a couple of tries before convincing it to save the
> entire large text. Edit... Paste... Save, repeat :).

This sounds a lot like what I was seeing when I tested large edits
with Netscape 6.2 (I think that's the version).

If you don't think your browser is the problem, let me know what browser
you're using and what versions of PmWiki, PHP, and Apache you have and
I'll look into it a bit further.