[Pmwiki-users] Re: Edit / Lock Pages

Evan Lee Turner eturner
Fri Apr 2 11:42:00 CST 2004

I've been having problems with this since pmwiki came out, but wasn't too
annoyed with it enough to complain/talk about solutions.  However, I do think it
becomes an issue in some instances.

Instead of getting really fancy with true prevention locks, how about giving
warnings instead?

Say that someone edits a page, which makes a flag.  When someone else edits they
get a warning that the page is currently being edited at the moment.  But they
can still continue with the edit if they want.

When someone hits save, the flag is reset.  If your worried about problems
occuring where the flag might not get reset (say browser dies, or they cancel
their edit) then build in a decay timer.  Sure, it would not work very well in
*some* instances, but it would be a way to patch the system right now easily to
keep it going until a better solution is developed. This would at least keep
most clobbers from occuring.  I notice that when it happends to me people are
all making quick edits, not longer than a few minutes.

-evan