[Pmwiki-users] Newbie question - how to set the "root" page of a group

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Apr 8 09:12:52 CDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 09:19:03AM -0500, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 09:47:36AM +0200, Nils Knappmeier wrote:
> > I know, that it's difficult to change this now, without having
> > compatibility problems, but I would recommend, either
> > 1) Removing this automatic, quiet redirecting behavior (so that you
> >    get an edit form when the page doesn't exist)

There are lots of quiet redirecting behaviors that exist in PmWiki--
it seems odd to single this particular one out for removal.  Indeed,
other wiki engines seem to be increasing the amount of quiet redirects (e.g.,
NearLinks, described at http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/community/NearLink).
No, I don't have any immediate plans to add NearLinks to PmWiki, although
it could potentially be added as a cookbook feature.

> BTW, does $DefaultTitle strike anyone else as a weird name for this
> variable?  Why not $DefaultPagename?

In PmWiki's original incarnations (when WikiGroups were first being
developed), the idea was that every page was identified by its "page name",
which consisted of a "group" and a "title".  Thus, $DefaultGroup is
the default group, $DefaultTitle is the default title, and $DefaultPage
is the default page (normally "$DefaultGroup/$DefaultTitle").
This is also seen throughout the code via references such as $PageName,
$Title, $Titlespaced, etc.

Looking at things now I'd really like to break the tie between a
page's name within a group and its displayed title, to allow pages to have
titles separate from their names (also mentioned in http://www.pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users_pmichaud.com/2004-April/004147.html).  I'm open for
suggestions for new variable naming conventions that could be used
in a new major release.