[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: spaces in uploaded files

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Apr 12 07:58:26 CDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 01:55:05PM +0200, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, Wayne Lee wrote:
>
> > hi christian,
> >
> > thanks for your help, but your suggestion did not work.  when using
> > [[Attachlist:]], files with spaces are listed with the spaces are
> > replaced with +'s.  thus, when i click on it, it can't find that file.

Note that one mechanism to encode spaces into a URL is to use '+' signs.
The web server is then supposed to convert the '+' signs back into
spaces when looking for the appropriate file.  This is a web-standard,
and not anything specific to the design of PmWiki.  Thus, the markup

   Attach:A+file+with+spaces.txt

refers to a file called "A file with spaces.txt" on the webserver.

> One possible solution could be to augment the syntax as follows:
> 	Attach:"A file with spaces.txt"
> which would work for any filename that doesn't contain quotes (").
> Opinions?

We put together a similar thing for allowing "file:" URLs with
spaces in them (for Windows systems) -- see
  http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/cutoff=3369
  http://www.pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users_pmichaud.com/2004-March/003438.html