[Pmwiki-users] Brainstorm (Page Locks)

Thomas -Balu- Walter list+pmwiki-users
Wed Apr 14 02:16:30 CDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 08:06:27AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 12:57:16PM +0200, Thomas -Balu- Walter wrote:
> > If the changes overlap the second user get's a message that there is a
> > conflict (with the lines marked somehow) and that this needs to be
> > handled (by the user) somehow.
>
> Actually, I was going to implement it such that the second author would
> get a message that the page changed even if the merge didn't detect a
> direct conflict.  Some edits might semantically conflict even if they
> don't directly conflict (e.g., if the second user makes reference to
> something that was deleted by the first user).

True. This is how CVS works too - the user gets a note that the changes
were merged (just scrolling by though) :)

Will you return a merged version of the page to the second
author with a note like "Page was edited before you saved. I have merged
the changes below. (The edits were overlapping so I have marked the
conflicting part.) Please review the merged page and save again."?
("Force" to review the article).

Or will you simply merge the changes, save and display a note to the
author that it was merged and he might want to check the page again.
(Just make reviewing optional)

     Balu