[Pmwiki-users] unix crypt passwords vs. md5 hash

Greg Morgan Cybie
Thu Apr 22 01:40:42 CDT 2004

Thomas -Balu- Walter wrote:

>http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.crypt.php
>   Some operating systems support more than one type of encryption. In
>   fact, sometimes the standard DES-based encryption is replaced by an
>   MD5-based encryption algorithm.
>
>One problem might be that if you move an installation to a system with a
>different encryption method it will not work because the password is
>stored differently.

This was the situation I ran into...  On my laptop I used for
development the version of PHP I was using used the equivalent of the
Unix crypt command, where my main server was using MD5.  Lucky for me I
didn't have to many password protected pages and I was able to remove
the protection by editing the files directly.