[Pmwiki-users] PmWiki password puzzle

John Rankin john.rankin
Wed Aug 25 19:48:40 CDT 2004

On Thursday, 26 August 2004 10:33 AM, John Rankin <john.rankin at affinity.co.nz> wrote:
[snip]
>Our configuration is slightly different. There is a $group.php
>file that sets:
>
>    $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = crypt('pass2');
>    $DefaultPasswords['read'] = array(crypt('pass1'),crypt('pass2'));
>    $DefaultPasswords['attr'] = crypt('pass3');
>
>Ah, I think the penny just dropped. Main.SideBar can't display
>because it sees the default read password. However, if we set the
>read password using the GroupAttributes page, it should work.
>
>From the list 23 July:
> But when he has finished
> editing and then clicks on 'Save' he is prompted for the read password
> again, although he already entered that password at the beginning of
> browsing the wiki. Is that a wanted effect or am I doing anything wrong?

It's a known bug that has been mentioned a couple of times before. I'm
working on a fix using PHP sessions.

Alternatively...
How can I set the read password in the GroupAttributes page to be
an array of pass1,pass2? Entering pass1,pass2 makes the password
'pass1,pass2'.

If we could set:
read    pass1,pass2,pass3,pass4
edit    pass2,pass3
attr    pass3
upload  pass4
it would have the desired effect. Alternatively, having edit rights
could automatically grant read rights and having attr rights could
automatically grant edit rights. Having upload rights could grant
read rights.

This appears to be a simple change to the BasicAuth function,
that perhaps could be configurable.
--
JR