[Pmwiki-users] PmWiki password puzzle

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Aug 30 06:55:25 CDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 10:00:58AM +1200, John Rankin wrote:
> The space character is fine with me. In which case the line in
> the BasicAuth function that reads
>     @$passwd = $grouppg["passwd$level"];
> could change to
>     @$passwd = explode(" ",$grouppg["passwd$level"]);
> That would solve the immediate problem and still work in PmWiki 2.
> Is that right?

After thinking about it overnight, there's two changes that need to be
made, because PmWiki doesn't store cleartext passwords in the page
files--it stores them encrypted.  Thus the line has to be changed in
BasicAuth (described above), but also in HandlePostAttr where the
passwords are converted from cleartext into encrypted forms.

I should have this change entered into the official distribution
shortly.  However, this brings up a number of other questions about
passwords in general which I'll post in the message to follow this one.