[Pmwiki-users] pmwiki version

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Dec 1 16:13:22 CST 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 05:43:29PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> At 2004-12-01  03:02 PM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> >On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 03:33:22PM -0600, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> >> Is there a way to distinguish a pmwiki1 installation from a pmwiki2
> >> installation from the outside? I.e., if all I have is a URL, how can I
> >> tell if they are running pmwiki1 versus pmwiki2?
> >
> >Directly, not really.  We could (should?) probably add an HTTP-Header
> >that identifies the software generating the page.
>
> If I had a choice, I would like to see something like this in config.php:
>
> ##  By default, PmWiki doesn't identify itself in the HTTP header.  Setting
> ##  $HTTPHeaderID="string"; will cause PmWiki to add a properly
> ##  formed HTTP header that includes "string". The string content is
> ##  up to you, but suggested values are "PmWiki-V1" or "PmWiki-V2".
> # $HTTPHeaderID = "";

I'm assuming you mean sample-config.php.

The code to do it would be something like

$HTTPHeaders[] = 'X-Generated-By: pmwiki-$Version';

Of course, I'm reasonably sure that Scott's original question was about
determining a pmwiki version in the absence of an administrator-configured
option, so leaving this off by default wouldn't help Scott's purpose much.
And after re-examining the available HTTP protocol headers we'll probably
leave such versioning information out of the system for a while.