[Pmwiki-users] Re: the descriptions of emphasis

chr@home.se chr
Thu Dec 2 09:50:52 CST 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Neil Herber wrote:

> Point taken. But if PmWiki is to favor writers over readers should the
> objective not be to have simple markup that is familiar to writers?
>
> Saying "doubled single-quotes is used for for emphasis (usually italics)"
> seems a lot less writer-friendly to me than saying "doubled single-quotes
> produce italics". I don;t think it really matters what HTML code is finally
> emitted as long as the rendering is predictable. Telling a writer that they
> will "usually " get italics seems wrong.

I think the main point here is that this is not WYSIWYGI editing...
there's no guarantee that even '<I>italics?</I>' will be rendered in
italics. That's up to the browser (and user) AFAIK.

Personally I very much favour using the concepts of 'emphasis' and
'strong' over more "cosmetic" stuff.

/C

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr