[Pmwiki-users] Locking?

Ciaran ciaranj
Fri Dec 3 11:58:19 CST 2004

On this theme, is it possible for a dialog or message to appear to
inform a user who's just commited some changes that a merge just took
place iirc on our Wiki when this happens the merge is committed
immediately with no chance to confirm/abort ?
- Ciaran

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:30:38 -0700, Patrick R. Michaud
<pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 09:50:59AM -0800, Penguinista wrote:
> > I'm setting up my first PMwiki (impressed with its
> > design after playing with  3 or 4 other wikis). But
> > what I can't find is any reference to page locking
> > while editing. How can I set up PMwiki so that
> > whenever someone opens a page to edit it, the page is
> > locked so that the person editing the page has
> > exclusive access?
>
> PmWiki doesn't have edit locking, and doesn't need it.  If
> two or more people attempt to edit the same page at the same
> time, then when each person saves PmWiki will merge the
> authors' changes together (and mark any conflicting
> edits so they can be resolved).
>
> There are a lot of reasons why "page locking" doesn't work
> in this context; the biggest being the problem of knowing
> what to do if someone requests editing a page but doesn't
> save it (i.e., jumps to another page or closes the browser)
> or otherwise doesn't release the lock.  So PmWiki just
> avoids the issue altogether by merging multiple edits
> together.
>
> (See http://pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users_pmichaud.com/2003-August/001125.html for a fuller description of the problem.)
>
> However, I do need to write a page to document and describe
> the simultaneous edit handling features of PmWiki.  :-)
>
> Pm
>

> --

- Ciaran