[Pmwiki-users] config.php, $RecentChangesFmt

Brian Clark brianj+devnull
Wed Dec 8 13:11:48 CST 2004

(Sorry about breaking the thread, the original didn't make it to me, I
had to dig this from the archives)

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 14:48:42PM MST 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 04:12:27PM -0500, Brian Clark wrote:

> > I guess that needs to be made clearer (which, I suppose I'll go edit
> > the documentation), but I'm now wondering why it doesn't format
> > as the page is sent to the browser rather than when the file is
> > written.

> Why it doesn't format as ?what? is sent to the browser?

I'm thinking more along the lines of a template. The recent changes
would be stored in a "neutral format" on disk, and the "format neutral"
recent changes data would be formatted based on the contents of
$RecentChangesFmt as it is displayed. That would produce an immediate
difference in the way its displayed as soon as one modifies config.php
and reloads the page.

> RecentChanges is just a wiki page just like any other, and it's far
> quicker to render a page of text than it is to go through every page
> listed to determine when it was last updated and by whom.

Right, I was simply suggesting that the data that's stored in
the RecentChanges wiki page is in a simple format that could be parsed
and formatted based on $RecentChangesFmt as it is sent to the browser.

> OTOH, I suppose we could always introduce a "recent changes" markup,
> so that each line in the *.RecentChanges files would be stored as

>   (:changed Something.PageName, when, author:)

> which is then converted to an appropriate form on output.  But that
> would mean that RecentChanges could no longer be used as a WikiTrail,
> and it would mean more work for the rss.php script.

Okay you lost me there, as I haven't had time to learn how all the
features work. However, hopefully you'll understand what I meant above
for the time being and know whether its possible or not.

-Brian